Concern about services

The Health Information and Quality Authority is a statutory body and our mission is to drive high quality and safe care for people using health and social care services in Ireland. One of the ways we do this is by looking into concerns people may have about the health or social care services they are receiving.

If you have a concern about a health or social care service you or your family is receiving we want you to let us know. Where we have the legal power to do so, we can investigate your concern. Where we don’t have this power, we will direct you to the best place to get help, advice, information and support.

The best starting point is usually to bring your concern directly to the person or organisation responsible for providing your care.

You can do this by speaking to:

  • the person in charge of delivering the service; or
  • to a complaints officer.

You may also wish to put your concern in writing. In many cases, concerns can be resolved at this stage. If the response you get is not satisfactory you may be able to refer your concern for another review. 

Concerns about Health Service Executive (HSE) services:

For any HSE-run service, the HSE’s ‘Your Service Your Say’ policy outlines how you can make a complaint or share your concerns. You can do this:

  • in person;
  • by phone; or
  • in writing.

Read more about Your Service Your Say

Residential services for children and adults with disabilities

Responding to concerns in designated centres for children and adults with disabilities.


Other Options for Public Service Concerns:

If you prefer, you can refer your concerns relating to public services to the Office of the Ombudsman  or the Ombudsman for Children’s Office


Other options for Private Service Concerns:

You may be able to refer your concerns relating to private services to the relevant regulator (go to for details on all the health and social care regulators and how they may be able to help you.) You may also want to get legal advice.


When to contact HIQA about your concern

We welcome information about designated centres for dependent persons, such as nursing homes, or any concerns people may have about the health or social care services they are receiving.

While we do not have the legal power to investigate individual complaints, we do review all information or concerns about services we receive and we assess them against the regulations and the standards.

If there is a serious risk to the health and welfare of service users, the Authority may decide to take appropriate action in relation to that service.  We may also undertake, or be required by the Minister of Health to undertake, an investigation into the safety, quality and standard of healthcare services.

If you wish to contact us regarding a concern about a service, you can:

  • complete the form below;
  • phone 021 240 9646;
  • email; or
  • post information to: Concerns About Services, Health Information and Quality Authority, George’s Court, George’s Lane, Smithfield, Dublin 7, Ireland.

Contact us

We take every precaution to protect the confidentiality of your personal information in accordance with Data Protection Legislation. Any information you provide will only be used in line with the purpose for which you provided it. The Authority will not share your personal information with third parties unless allowed or required by law. Your personal data may also be anonymised and used for statistical purposes.

Next steps will depend on the seriousness of the concern. The Authority will take the appropriate steps as necessary.

Please note * = required information

Address of service your concern relates to

Leave blank if you wish to remain anonymous

We may need to contact your for clarification or to follow up your concern

We may need to contact you for clarification or to follow up your concern

Please give as much detail as possible about the nature of your concern. Include date / time, who was involved, what took place and what your concern is. This information will be treated as sensitive.

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.