Areas we work in
HIQA’s role is to develop standards, inspect and review health and social care services and support informed decisions on how services are delivered. For further information on the areas we work in please click on the links below.
- The Healthcare team are responsible for driving improvements in the quality and safety of healthcare on behalf of patients.
- The job of the children’s team is to inspect some of the services used by children in Ireland. This means that we visit services, talk to children, their families and other important people in their lives.
- The disability team is legally responsible for the monitoring, inspection and registration of all residential services for both children and adults with a disability in Ireland.
- The Older Persons' team are legally responsible for monitoring, inspecting and registering all nursing homes in Ireland to ensure that residents are safe and receive a high quality of care.
- The Health Information team is responsible for developing a coherent and integrated approach to health information, based on standards and international best practice.
- Health technology assessment (HTA) is a multidisciplinary research process that collects and summarises information about a health technology.
- The HTA team are also responsible for producing the evidence to support National Clinical Guideline development. The guidelines aim to promote healthcare that is current, effective and consistent, ensuring best outcomes for patients and service users.
- The Standards and Quality improvement team support and promote safety and quality in health and social care services in Ireland. We do this by developing national standards for healthcare and for people living in residential services.
- If you are looking for a nursing home, hospital or disability centre, please click here for further information.
- The National Care Experience Programme seeks to improve the quality of health and social care services in Ireland by asking people about their experiences of care and acting on their feedback.