We take every precaution to protect the confidentiality of your personal information in accordance with Data Protection legislation. Any information you provide will only be used in line with the purpose for which you provided it.

HIQA will not share your personal information with third parties unless allowed or required by law. Your personal data may also be anonymised and used for statistical purposes.

Concern about services

If you have a concern about a health or social care service you or your family is receiving, we want you to let us know.

Where we have the legal power to do so, we can investigate your concern. Where we don’t have this power, we will direct you to the best place to get help, advice, information and support.

The best starting point is usually to bring your concern directly to the person or organisation responsible for providing your care.

You can do this by speaking to:

  • the person in charge of delivering the service; or
  • to a complaints officer.

You may also wish to put your concern in writing. In many cases, concerns can be resolved at this stage. If the response you get is not satisfactory you may be able to refer your concern for another review.

When to contact HIQA about your concern

We welcome information about designated centres for dependent persons, such as nursing homes, or any concerns people may have about the health or social care services they are receiving.

While we do not have the legal power to investigate individual complaints, we do review all information or concerns about services we receive and we assess them against the regulations and the standards.

If there is a serious risk to the health and welfare of service users, HIQA may decide to take appropriate action in relation to that service. We may also undertake, or be required by the Minister of Health to undertake, an investigation into the safety, quality and standard of healthcare services.

Other options for public or private concerns

For public services you can refer your concerns to the Office of the Ombudsman or the Ombudsman for Children’s Office.

For private services you may be able to refer your concerns to the relevant regulator (go to Healthcomplaints.ie for details on all the health and social care regulators and how they may be able to help you.) You may also want to get legal advice.

Contacting us about your concern

The next steps will depend on the seriousness of the concern. HIQA will take the appropriate steps as necessary.

If you wish to contact us regarding a concern about a service, you can:

  • complete the form below
  • phone 021 240 9646
  • email concerns@hiqa.ie
  • post information to: Concerns About Services, Health Information and Quality Authority, George’s Court, George’s Lane, Smithfield, Dublin 7, Ireland.